Friday 25 November 2016

Slow Cooked Gammon

A few years ago I was planning what to cook for Christmas dinner and wanted to add a second meat choice (I was obviously feeling a bit nervous about my Turkey). I opted for Gammon but had to cook it separately as there was not enough room in the oven. I discovered you can cook it in the Slow cooker and now I don't cook it any other way. It couldn't be easier and the results are fabulous. You can just switch it on and pretty much forget about it while you prepare everything else. There's no complicated method, no need for brining or basting and no chance of it overcooking or going dry so it's perfect for when you're entertaining.

Slow Cooker Gammon

There are loads of different variations you can try, using all manner of herbs and spices, but the basics remain the same. The Gammon is cooked slowly for a long time in a small amount of sweet liquid to offset the saltiness.

Here's my super simple recipe.


Ingredients
  • 1 big Gammon joint (make sure it fits in your slow cooker)
  • 100ml Juice/Syrup from a tin of Pineapple (Apple juice works well too)
  • Two Bay Leaves
  • Herbs (optional I used Thyme in this instance)

Instructions

  1. This couldn't be much simpler. Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on the low setting for at least 4 hours but preferably 6-8. For Christmas you can put it on first thing in the morning and it will be ready for lunch.
  2. Remove the fat/rind before serving. I leave it on during cooking for flavour and moisture but you can take it off ahead of time if you prefer.
  3. Allow to rest in the liquid prior to serving.
Results

Slow Cooked Gammon

The Gammon is delicious, succulent and moist. The only problem I've encountered is with the carving. I've usually struggle to get a decent slice without the whole thing falling apart. You can add some of the liquid to your gravy but be careful as it is very salty and sweet, and if you've left the fat on during cooking the excess will need to be skimmed off.


Gammon
Slow Cooked Gammon with Thyme ready for carving

The Gammon keeps really well for a couple of days and is delicious cold so would also be ideal for a buffet the next day. So again it is really handy at Christmas or for large gatherings. I serve it along with Apple sauce.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

There are many other variations you can try, including one very famous option of using Cola as your liquid. If you have any suggestions you wish to share feel free to add a comment.


1 comment:

  1. Slow Cooked Gammon is a very tasty and delicous dish. It gets cook on the slow stove with light heat. I will gonna try your recipe also

    ReplyDelete